May, June, July

Starting with a detour before continuing the hull.


May - Deadwood Ahead!

The hull is just past the halfway point. I look up and wonder, "What's wrong with this picture?"
"Gatdammit! I forgot about the deadwood... again!" Originally, when I was building the model, I had the deadwood as an integral part of the keel. Since, at the framing stage, I didn't have the keel weight fabricated, I cut off the deadwood so the model would sit flat on the table... and completely for got a bout it. Duh!
So I mockup the deadwood.      
[000430deadwoodmockup.jpg]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

I routed out portions of the keelson and sternpost. After the individual strips were glued together, the net effect was a finger-jointed deadwood.[000501deadwoodphase1.jpg]

June - Deadwood, Phase II

...consisted of installing the forward face and led into the "keelbolt treatment". As you might imagine, there are no details for the keelbolt installation. I began by beefing up the frames at the keel. The frames are 3"s thick and 10"s deep.
[000602deadwoodphase2b.jpg]

I have a stock of 2"x2"x1/4" stainless steel angle. By the end of the month I'd cut six pieces 18"s long and drilled 1/2" holes for bolts, installed them on the keelson and welded the tops together along with the allthread rods. At the keel there are three 1/2" bolts; 2 running through the frame stiffeners and 1 passing through the keelson. This effectively bolts the frames and keel together, as well providing ample support for the two and a half tons of lead later on. I wanted to build a one piece armature that could be removed from the keel and later placed into the mold... because the mold isn't built yet... because the plug isn't built yet either, and can't be until the keelbolt problem was solved.
[000625c.jpg]
So much for the detour.

July - Back to planking.

  • 07/08 New crew signs on. Alicia Keller
    [000729c.jpg]
    Alicia's a real pistol, and very good with her hands.
    Three sets of strips in place.
  • 07/09 Three more sets installed.
  • 07/15 Short crew, short day. Two sets installed.
  • 07/16 Four more sets of strips.
    The scaffolding, such as it is, (2x6 planks on milk crates), is getting kind of shaky. Mongo's teetering, and with Mongo and Alicia aloft together I realize that more substantial measures need to be taken.
    [000716b.jpg]
  • 07/22 No Mongo today. Alicia and I start putting on a set of strips, one whole set installed.
    I halt operations to build semipermanent scaffolding.
  • 07/23 Finish scaffolding. Install one more set of strips. Hull is up to 52"s.
    [000729a.jpg]
    The scaffold consists of a series of milk crates screwed to the hull. There are 1/2"x2" plywood strips and 5 screws holding the crates in place against the hull. Most of these lie flat and horizontal naturally. The crates at the forward end are coped to the hull to lie flat. I left the hull side on the crates to have something to screw to, and merely cut wedges out of the crates. the planking is screwed on from underneath.
  • 07/29 No Mongo. (He has an extremely heavy hockey coaching schedule.) A&M install four more strips. Hull is up to 56"s. The hull is past the bilge turn and now sloping toward the keel. The curves are magnificent, specially at the stern with its wineglass transom.
  • 07/30 No Mongo, his HD crashed. Spent several hours cleaning up and removing screws. Installed three sets of strips.
    The anchor locker, a.k.a. "station #8", is now completely enclosed. Hull 58.5"s up, 37 strips to go.

Just got this note from my brother.
Andrew MacBride wrote:
Wow! Nice update. I'm particularly impressed with the milk-crate
scaffolding. I thought, "That's what Dad might do."

Your whole effort really looks great; meaning your boat, the building
of it, your step-by-step photos, your website, and your prose.

  Well done, Bro.

Thanks Bro'!


Summer's plankin' time.  000729a_120x90.jpg]

[home2.jpg][IMAGE]


Copyright © 2000 Alan "Maddog!" MacBride
Most recent revision 08/02/00